Friday 20 August 2010

Diary of a Makeup Artist

9th August to 15th August

My toe nails are blinged up in metallic silver Minx. This week I trained in applying Minx to the fingers and toes, an instant way to achieve great looking nails that are ready to go with no smudging and instantly dry. There are over one hundred designs in the Minx range and I am pleased to be offering this to as another service in addition to the Hair and Make up options that are available for weddings, special occasion, wedding reception and hen parties.

Jenny had her trial this week (great name!). She wanted big hair, so I created height which held the fab tiara in place. All the rest of the hair was swept to the side and curled cascading down one side of the neck. Airbrush makeup was applied using Airbase foundation shade 03, blush and bronzer. All the Airbase products are available in the Beauty Call boutique. On the eye I created a dark brown smoky eye and applied full strip lashes after curling the natural lashes. I used salon system number 107 that are longer on the outer corner.

My copy of Shock Horror Magazine arrived on the doorstep and I was very excited to read the four page article on the feature film which I did the special effects make up for. There were also pictures of the makeup as well as a mention from the Director too!

Claire and Lesley, a bride to be and mother of the bride, both had a hair and make up trial together. Claire had short thin hair and thought there was no way her hair could be styled. Claire was thrilled to see that I had created an updo for her. I build up height and backcombed the hair on the top of the head then smoothed it out. I pinned in the back sections to create a small pleat with the front sections pinned in covering the tiara band. The tiara was diamante and black in design to compliment their black and white wedding theme. Lesley had a volume blow dry with the back flicked up and the top blow dried under creating a very full look. This was to give the hair body and make the fascinator Lesley had chosen stand out. Makeup was kept light on the eyes with lots of black mascara about three coats to keep the eyes open and some individual lashes applied to the outer corners to define the eye area. One the lips I use MAC creme de le femme over pencilled in lips to sharpen the lip shape and avoid feathering and bleeding of the lipstick.

My week finished as a hair stylist for an Asian bridal shoot. I thoroughly enjoyed the shoot and had a great time meeting and working with everyone. The use of colour is amazing and I loved the clothing and jewellery. I applied tikka’s to the hair styles that I created which were stunning. The first style was a bouffant with a plait coming down the side. The second was a bouffant on top with a pleat at the side and the rest of the hair curled coming down one shoulder. Next was a huge bun on top of the crown to support the legha with a smoothed out swept to the side fringe. For the quick change I did a plait coming down over the crown of the head coming into hang down on the shoulder. The final style was taken out to leave the style half up half down with tousled curls. That shoot was fun as the wind machine was used and some great photos were created. In all, six looks were achieved and I am really looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Take care.

Jen x

No comments:

Post a Comment